It’s time we said good bye to mmn.cx, the domain is gone because a lot of registrars need to reel their necks back in.
I’ve been steadily with one for about 10 years and another few here and there to diversify pricing.
However, they’ve all pumped up their prices in the laqt two years by about 200%, which is totally foolish. Most registries have applied minor costs and most in local currencies, for .cx I believe the going rate is somewhere at around 50$ AUD. My registrar however translates this to 105€+TVA @ 20%.
There isn’t much point in this and it’s a bit of a joke, since the domain is for a hobby system and I’ve started moving my properties under ec.je (or ao.tc, ax.pe and vx.sg) it’s not really worth my time or money to be taken the piss of like this.
For ao.tc, ec.je and ax.pe the costs are indeed a bit higher, mainly because they come from smaller registries and the additional costs to run a smaller ccTLD is understandable. But I have managed to bring in a couple under my own registrar shaving off a huge markup.
It’s a good thing I did my change over when I did, otherwise I’d be left in shitsville before putting in place a decent handover. And I’m glad to report back the only thing coming in to mmn.cx at the tme of writing happens to be spam, nothing but spam.
I’m going to setup relevant records under ao.tc, vx.sg and ax.pe for the BBS as well and I’ll write more about that later. Project side for these I’ve also installed wordpress on to all these domains to compartimentalise various projects, since I love me my gopher server, but it’s not able to fully handle some of the things I’m working on.
I also have to really put it out here, I’m happy that I’ve gone with Binero for my journal, I’ve had no problems what so ever and it is running as good as it did on Dreamhost (which still hasn’t fixed the issue causing this blog to fly around to different servers mind).